Testing NPR’s Embedded Audio Player

I’ve wanted this for a long time. With NPR’s re-tooled web site, embedding stories heard on NPR radio programs now seems possible.I tried embedding the NPR audio player for  Creative Coincidences: Cage On Cunningham from Fresh Air [073109]. It never finished loading. “Loading Audio PLayer/Initializing…” was the status message. THat “…” went on for ever, dragging down performance on Firefox and everywhere else.

So I removed the embed code here. Does anyone have any inisghts/suggestions?

This entry was posted in Experiments, Meta-blog and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Testing NPR’s Embedded Audio Player

1. Lamar says:

I guess no one had any suggestions. I embedded the Mind Games: Making Olympians Mentally Fit story from npr.org and it says:
    Loading Media Player
    Initializing…

I guess I’ll download the mp3 file from them and upload it to my blog.

If anyone has any thoughts/ideas that would be great.

2. Madhu says:

I’m frustrated with this problem as well. No resolution yet, eh?

3. Mark Willis says:

Madhu – alas, no answers. I looked at your website and imagine you and I would embed similar NPR stories if we could. I’ll return for more of the leaf warbler’s gleanings!

4. Madhu says:

Thanks, Mark! I sent a tweet about the problem to @NPRTechTeam, which is supposed to be their tech support line, but haven’t had any response. Have you seen it work anywhere?

5. Mark Willis says:

Madhu, no, I haven’t seen a working NPR.org audio player embedded anywhere. My gold standard for this type of embed is On the Media at WNYC, which I love to use on this and my other site, a blind flaneur. Please let me know whatever you learn from NPR.

6. Adam says:

Hello Mark (and others),
    apologies for the lack of response from the NPR twitter account but just had your issue with the embedded player brought to my attention and I’d like to help. I’ve seen a similar error reported before and was able to resolve it. Please contact me at amartin@npr.org and i’d be happy to help troubleshoot your issue.